Thursday, June 14, 2007

Demon Hunter’s Toolkit: Tool #1 - Moral Compass

Ok, so I’ve done some research on demon hunting, and it seems that the first thing necessary when taking on this task is a Moral Compass. I'm not certain exactly what that means. I assume it is some sort of device that points out creatures with no morality, a.k.a. demons.

Maybe the Bible has some thoughts on this. It's all about good and evil, so maybe it will have some ideas about my Moral Compass and how to use it in the good fight. According to Deuteronomy just following my own heart could get me burned. By God. And I think they mean literally. That could be an issue. Maybe I should look someplace else.


President Bush is always talking about fighting Evil. He mentions it in every State of the Union. Maybe he would know how to use a Moral Compass to fight demons. I mean, yeah, the evil he is fighting is more mortal, but the same principles probably apply. Or, maybe not. According to this our President's moral compass doesn't work very well, so maybe he's not the person to ask.

Clearly I'm not getting anywhere. Well, as a child of the mid-seventies, I have but one recourse. According to the web definition search in Google, "A moral compass sets real limits, either intrinsically or extrinsically, upon the actions and words of an individual, generally within an ethical context which may or may not be predicated upon religious beliefs."

Ok. I can get behind that. Limits that are either from inside or outside, based on my religion, or not based on my religion. I think I have that. Limits, I mean. For example, today I wanted to tell the trainer "Learn to speak English. And then, learn to be a trainer. And then, you might want to make certain you're training us on an application we are actually going to use. Oh, and provide coffee so we're not FALLING ASLEEP because you're about as interesting as this." But I did not. Actually, I'm pretty sure he was speaking English but it was hard to tell over my snoring colleagues. I'd say that was pretty good of me not to tell him just how terrible he is at his job.
Or maybe not.
Maybe the moral thing would have been to tell him, make him question the purpose of his life, and force him to give up training in favor of life as a sidewalk artist, thereby sparing hundreds, perhaps thousands of future corporate cogs the mental anguish of listening to him.

Damn. This Moral Compass thing is trickier than I thought. Maybe I'll try the Bhagavad Gita...

No comments: